Airbus CEO says relations not broken with Dassault but finding it difficult to proceed to phase 2 of FCAS fighter project
Airbus CEO says relations not broken with Dassault but finding it difficult to proceed to phase 2 of FCAS fighter project
Airbus CEO Signals Openness to "Two-Fighter" Solution as FCAS Program Stalls
Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury stated on February 19 that the company remains committed to the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) program but acknowledged significant challenges in advancing to Phase 2 due to unresolved disputes with French defense contractor Dassault Aviation. The €100 billion initiative, involving France, Germany, and Spain, aims to develop a sixth-generation fighter jet, combat cloud, and drone systems by 2040. However, industrial and political disagreements over leadership, workshare, and technical requirements have stalled progress on the core next-generation fighter (NGF) component according to Reuters.
Faury emphasized that Airbus supports a "two-fighter solution" if mandated by governments, allowing France and Germany to develop separate aircraft while maintaining shared systems like the combat cloud and drone infrastructure as reported by Defense News. This approach, he argued, could preserve European cooperation and avoid jeopardizing other FCAS pillars, which are progressing "well". The proposal follows German Chancellor Friedrich Merz's assertion that Germany does not require the same aircraft as France, which insists on a carrier-capable, nuclear-weapons-equipped fighter according to The Guardian.
The deadlock reflects broader tensions between Airbus (representing Germany and Spain) and Dassault, which insists on leading the fighter design. Dassault's CEO, Éric Trappier, has previously stated the company would rather let Germany pursue its own project than cede control as The Guardian reported. Meanwhile, political rifts have deepened, with Belgium's Defense Minister Theo Francken declaring FCAS "dead" under Merz's stance and warning of European fragmentation according to Defense News.
Faury stressed that Airbus has invested heavily in FCAS and prefers a cooperative path but acknowledged the need for "decisions from customers" to resolve the impasse as Defense News reported. Industry sources suggest Phase 2 negotiations are effectively halted, with no clarity on a next steps. A split could redirect Germany toward the British-Italian-Japanese Global Combat Air Programme (GCAP), though Airbus has not ruled out alternative partnerships according to Reuters.
The outcome carries significant financial implications, as Europe weighs the cost of multiple parallel programs against the strategic value of unified defense capabilities according to The Guardian. With Macron's presidency nearing its end and shifting political dynamics, the future of FCAS remains uncertain.

Stay ahead of the market.
Get curated U.S. market news, insights and key dates delivered to your inbox.



Comments
No comments yet